I wanted to make one more gift and I had one pillow form left–providence.
For this 14-inch pillow, I used up more of the little squares, surrounded the chunk of squares with a warm brown, and positioned it off center.
When it came time to quilt, I was working late at night. I took two passes and the stitching was not right, which was especially apparent since I was using brown thread on these bright squares. Was there a problem with the tension? Was the scrap backing too slippery? I seam-ripped it all out (argh), cut out a new piece of backing, safety-pin basted it together again and went to bed grumpy.
Early the next morning, it came to me–had I checked the walking foot?
Head slap–when I had installed the walking foot last, I had failed to align the lever on the right side of the presser foot with the needle clamp. It was resting on top of the needle clamp instead of fitting around it. Problem solved and quilting resumed.
Then, on my last quilting pass, I wasn’t paying attention and I ran out of top thread. More seam-ripping and redoing. Sewing reminds me–again and again–of the value of patience.
For the back I used this gorgeous fabric that I found at Fabric Nosherie. It’s called Sinister Swarm (color: mozambique) and is from the Field Study collection by Anna Maria Horner. When I saw it at the store, I knew I had to have some but had no plan in mind–the usual fabric addict/hoarder reaction and I succumbed. I did show some restraint and bought only one yard.
I am fond of butterflies, and my son, who had recently taken an insect morphology field study class, created a work similar to this fabric in its color palette and design sensibilities (see fuzzy phone photo above–now you know how tiger beetles copulate!). This pillow back was a great way to highlight the large-scale print.
I wavy-quilted it and used the same zippered-back techique I described in an earlier post.
Happy Birthday, Sarah!