Last year a wise and resourceful friend told me that he had saved the amaryllis bulb I had given him the year before and repotted it–and it had bloomed! He showed me photos to prove it.
So I thought I’d give it a try. After mine finished blooming last January, I trimmed the stalks and dead roots from the bulb, put it on some paper towel, left it on a counter in the garage and promptly forgot about it.
My husband found the bulb as he was cleaning up the garage this weekend. Although shriveled, it had new green leaves poking from the top.
I gave the bulb a trim and peeled off some of the loose layers around the base.
I found a deep glass vase and settled the bulb inside with a layer of pebbles. I added enough water so the roots can reach it but so the bulb isn’t resting in the water–otherwise it might rot.
After two days, the leaves have straightened and have already begun to grow–thanks, Gregg!